Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Do you make soundtracks for your books?

photo by dalydose
Yesterday I set up a feed into my Google reader through Google's blog search for any posts with the words "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".  It paid off immediately as one of the first things I got was a link to this post.  I love this because these people have created "mixed tapes" to accompany the first three books of the Hitchhiker's series.  The author has asked for people to make suggestions to improve the mix, offering a reward for the best suggestion.  What a great example of someone remixing to create something new and consume media in a different way.

At the bottom of that post are links to listen to all of the songs they have chosen for each book.  So, I listened to this mixed-tape soundtrack for Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  The songs they chose are either songs that were written about the story itself or something that fits with a certain scene in the book.  They placed the music in the same order as the book.  Also, and this is my favorite part, the author gives a small explanation for many of the songs and why they were chosen.  This is beneficial to anyone reading the book because it considers characters, themes, and tone and explains how the songs match enhance these elements.

I think this will enhance my reading of Adam's master work.  Using music and art to interpret literature is nothing new.  Music can help form an emotional connection on a deeper level than just reading can.  Experiencing something in many mediums makes a deeper impression on your mind.   This is a good way to connect people to what they are reading.  It's fun for students to experience their readings on multiple levels.  If listening to this mixed-tape soundtrack causes someone to form a permanent connection between Coldplay and Douglas Adams, I would consider it a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! What a good find. It would definitely be fun to do something like that on your own. I'll have to consider doing so while I read my personal book.

    ReplyDelete