Friday, May 13, 2011

Are you listening to podcasts?

ePublicist on Flickr
I don't listen to a large amount of podcasts, but I do listen to several regularly.  My discovery of podcasts dates back to 2007 when I used to work spraying lawns and trees with fertilizer and insecticide.  I would drive around all day long listening mostly to the programming of NPR, my favorites being Talk of the Nation and Diane Rehm. Well, when I went back to school I took a night job and was either in school or sleeping when my favorite programs were on, so I began to download the podcast of the show and never looked back.

I still listen to those two podcasts but now I have several more as well.  I picked up the CNN presidential race analysis in 2008 and listened to that once a week, and subscribed to a technology podcast by NPR.  They are all very good and informative, and the best part is that I listen to them when I have the time to do so.  If I'm not interested in the story or am behind on my listening I can erase some and skip to the good ones.  It is a great way to consume entertainment and news on your own time schedule and especially great for those who enjoy talk radio.

Here is a list of podcasts I am subscribed to:
And the best part is . . . these ones are free.  I've listened to others but either I haven't subscribed or have since unsubscribed to their feeds.

So, what does this mean to those who are reading this post?  Chances are that you have no desire to listen to the same things that I do.  That's fine.  I'm just writing this to tell people out there that podcasts are a great way to consume content.  You don't have to have an ipod to listen to these.  You can download them on your computer and listen to them wherever.  Chances are, there are really good podcasts available that talk about something you are really interested in. Whether that be collecting old soda cans to amateur stargazing.

Tell me some of your favorite podcasts.

2 comments:

  1. I love podcasts! I listen to scores of them ranging from all subjects. These are some of my favorites:

    Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!, a hilarious news quiz show with amazing panelists.
    How to Do Everything, from the producers of Wait Wait, they interview experts about random things.
    A Way With Words, a must-listen for people who love language, I have been listening stalwartly since 2005 or 2006 (except for the two years on the mission)
    RadioLab, a wonderful show, usually about some science thing.

    I'm also a huge Ira Flatow fan, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. I'll have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete